10 Low-Recoil Defensive Handguns

Home Forums Security & Defense Weapons 10 Low-Recoil Defensive Handguns

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Matt In Oklahoma 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/3/4/10-low-recoil-defensive-handguns/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=1120

I came real close to buying a FNH Five-seveN back in the day. Didnt due to lack of reloading brass was still not readily available at the time.

namelus
    Participant

The ammo is still not easy to get for the 5.7 fn here. 20 in  stack with that penetration is awesome for a pistol.

In shft I think it will be a not so useful expensive club very quickly.

Crow Bar
      Keymaster

IF it was not for the fact it is something of a exotic round, yeah, it has a lot going for it.
      Have the pistol and then the PS90.

In shft I think it will be a not so useful expensive club very quickly.

Eh, I think you can say that about any rifle in any round if the owner is of the spray and pray mentality.
      It is one thing when you have armored transport, a secure base to go back to that gets resupplied by the long logistical train of the DoD.
      I know guys who brag about having stocked piled 20,000 rounds. If you expect to get into firefights on a regular basis, that is not actually a lot of ammo.

Tolik
    Participant

M57 Tokarev , similar in recoil to a 380 , but better cartridge . 7.62×25

Matt In Oklahoma
    Participant

The 5.7 is a nice round. The handgun is too expensive IMO. The carbines are pretty sweet. It’d be a great round for game.

If your winning firefights shouldn’t you be picking up their guns n ammo?

Crow Bar
      Keymaster

In an ideal world, yep.

But in a post SHTF case, a winning firefight could just as be as the other guy pops off a few shotgun rounds and turn tail and runs, i.e. Mic ‘shotgun’ Biden.

BarrensHomey
    Participant

My preference is a revolver taking .357 / 38Spl. Bring that brass  home, don’t leave it laying around  for the LEO’s to find and trace  back to you. For accuracy and lower recoil, skip the featherweightsa and get a solid steel frame. I believe an FBI study found that most gunfight are resolved after 5 shots; I don’t know if that still holds true in the era of extended mag Glocks  in every gangsta’s closet…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  BarrensHomey.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  BarrensHomey.

Matt In Oklahoma
      Participant

Did you take the bullets with ya too? Camera footage? Pay for the stuff with credit/debit card? Take a friend??You know us dang LEOs always lurking about finding ways.
      LEOs post SHTF? The millions of guns in this country makes that a given not an exception that folks have one  Here in free America definitely. I only wonder about those not carrying. Those make me suspicious<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”> lol</span>

I’m gonna say no to “most” these days. Basing your plan on statistics and quotes is a dangerous train of thought. It’s better to go with the worst case scenario then be overdone for whatever.

The 38 can be a real light shooter especially with bullseye powder.

BarrensHomey
    Participant

Well, there’s the inducement to track down the loss of yet another turd in the street, is not very motivating in this era of F12/defund the cops. I found some discarded but unshot bullets behind my garage awhile back; the LEO dispatched just scraped them up and took them away. He said that, given the bullets had been laying there for some time, the lab wouldn’t be able to get prints even if they wanted to.

Matt In Oklahoma
      Participant

You called the cops because you found some old bullets laying around?

namelus
    Participant

Standard calibers 9mm,.22L,45 auto have so many weapons that use that ammo that a csi forensic claiming shot came from.one gun is defeatable in court of law and already has been.

It is supporting evidence it is not the only evidence required.

Matt In Oklahoma
      Participant

I hate to get off thread topic but :

Yes it is supporting only evidence as you still have to prove the person shot the weapon. That’s a given however the first statement is only true if portions of the equation are missing. If the weapon, casing and an identifiable bullet are the then it’s easily possible. The type of weapon can usually be determined as well based on rifling types, twist length, twist direction and the primer strikes on cases are indicative as well

IE: Glocks have a squared firing pin. Glocks Gen 1-4 with factory barrels use polygonal rifling. Then from there you can use the matching signatures. Also the case showing the weapon was test fired from the factory might be included when it’s new and still in the case.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar