2020 Prepper Health & Fitness Challenge: Day 11

Home Forums Challenges and Contests 2020 Prepper Health & Fitness Challenge: Day 11

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Littlesister 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Daisy
    Keymaster

Here are the small habits we’re incorporating into our daily lives.

1. We’re drinking water before we drink other beverages.
    2. We’re adding a serving of fruit or veggies before each meal.
    3. We’re adding more movement to our day.
    4. We are performing 5 minutes of gentle stretches before we get out of bed in the morning.
    5. We are focusing on some rest or relaxation time on a daily basis.

Today’s Challenge

Today is another strength training day. We’re going to do one of the exercises recommended on Day 6 to strengthen our lower bodies.

This time, increase the difficulty just a little bit in one of three ways:

• Go just a little bit heavier.
    • Go just a little bit further.
    • Go for a longer period of time.

It really is that simple. Since it’s the weekend, it might be a good day for a hike with a backpack.

What are you doing for lower body strength training?

Share your routine in the comments. And let me know if you’re still enjoying the challenge!

Loving Life
    Participant

Today is a recovery day for me. I am doing good on my small habits. The hardest one for me is to remember to drink enough water. I also have conflicting articles on the right amount of water to drink. Personally, I feel I am drinking enough as I have to routinely find the bathroom. Lol. I am journalling both food and water to see what my true intake is.

I skied Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. The skiing took a bit out of me; my whole body is pleasantly sore, but my legs are really feeling it. I consider the skiing a good lower body workout. I am also doing squats on my non ski days.

OldMt Woman
    Participant

Hmph…..we interrupt regularly scheduled broadcasting for this important announcement:

I am SO SICK!  Sheeesh, DH and I are so rarely sick, we hardly remember how to handle it.  So my Health and Fitness will be focused on regaining the ability to stray more than 3 feet from the Kleenex box.  And the ability to vary my diet from something other than Jello and rice.  🙁

OldMtWoman

Dala Barnes
    Participant

Stormy, rainy, ugly day, I do not like when I cannot go outside. I worked on my core training.

Littlesister
    Participant

OldMt Woman, hope you start feeling better soon.  Prayers going your way.

I have been trying to keep up with this but has been a struggle with everything going on with DH. Though I am drinking more water, walking around house as much as possible as weather permits and doing stretching exercises.  The stretching really has helped.  Did not realize I wasn’t doing that like I used to.

It has been warm today, so got DH outside to walk around house. It was a struggle for him but he managed to do it.  He was swollen more today and out of breath. Had to hold on to me and stop quite a bit but made it all the way around the house. Then had to go in to rest. Bad weather coming in, so the walking may be on hold for a bit.

Muffy1938
    Participant

I can testify that regular exercise is absolutely making a difference in how I feel each day. Last October I decided I simply could not allow my strength and balance to deteriorate any further so I began then “working out” everyday. I discovered so many exercise videos for seniors on the YouTube channel, so doing something was more fun and varied. Many of the videos also show how to exercise sitting down so no excuses there. 🙂

In December I began attending the Silver Sneakers classes offered at the local Civic Center where I live. Many insurances plans include these classes; mine doesn’t so I pay $2 per class twice a week. Great fun with other folks so check it out if you’re over 55.

Then at Christmas my sports minded family gave me the Apple Watch which features healthy living activities. Love this Watch! Such a motivator. Lets me know when I need to get up and move about. Reminders can be set to drink water. Oh, so many features!!! Basically, I’ve discovered the watch can do everything my IPhone does. Cool!

Anyhow, Daisy, I’m so glad you’re presenting this particular challenge. It’s an excellent reminder that we simply must make an effort to remain as strong as possible no matter what our age. The old adage “use it or lose it” definitely applies here. I’m 81 and am convinced we can choose how to treat our bodies…the right food in the right amount; adequate rest; and activity/exercise. And, start decluttering your life!

Thanks all for sharing.

Muffy1938
    Participant

Hey, oldmtwoman…so sorry to hear you are feeling sick. Yuck. Maybe something you ate didn’t agree or the kleenex clue suggests maybe something respiratory.

Whatever, I’ll be praying for you and your DH to knock this thing clear out of your life! Soon. Hang in there and do start writing more of your stories about your life. They are so good and will provide a sort of journal to look back on later.

Be Blessed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar