2020 Prepper Health & Fitness Challenge: Day 7

Home Forums Challenges and Contests 2020 Prepper Health & Fitness Challenge: Day 7

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Josefina Arenas 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

by Daisy Luther

As of today, we’re one week in on our prepper health and fitness challenge. We have added the following habits:

Drinking a glass of water before any other beverage
    Eating a serving of produce before each meal
    Moving more

I hope these things are coming along easily for you.
    Today’s Challenge

Increasing your flexibility has a host of benefits. I recommend doing a simple flexibility exercise each morning before you start your day.

Why?

When you are more flexible, you’re less likely to become injured
    When you are more flexible, it increases your range of motion
    It improves your posture and balance
    Many people report an improvement in joint pain.

Of course, before you start this or any other exercise program, you should speak with your doctor.
    Morning flexibility routine

I began doing this simple routine when I was in physical therapy for herniated discs. I do it before I get out of bed and it only takes a few minutes. As the month goes on we’ll add some other flexibility exercises but this is a good starter for just about anyone.

Only do the movement until you feel light tension, but not discomfort.

Lie flat on your back.
    Bring one knee to your chest as close as you can comfortably. Hold it for 5-30 seconds, based on your flexibility levels.
    Straighten that leg out and repeat the exercise with your other leg.

Repeat this 3-5 times.

Next, bring both knees up to your chest and hold for 5-30 seconds.

Repeat 3-5 times.

Turn over and get on your hands and knees.
    Round your spine toward the ceiling and drop your head. Hold for 5-30 seconds.

Repeat 3-5 times.

This routine shouldn’t take you more than five to ten minutes and will be acceptable for most fitness levels. Remember, nothing should be painful. If it causes pain, stop immediately.

I do this every day, no matter where I am before I get out of bed. As well, if you have back pain and can find a place to lay down, these stretches may help to alleviate your pain.
    What flexibility exercises do you do?

Do you have a yoga or flexibility routine? If you have any links to good videos, please share them in the comments.

Dala Barnes
    Participant

What a good idea to do this before getting out of bed. I try to do yoga several times a week but sometimes the day gets so busy there is no time.

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

I try to stretch before bed, and as soon as I get up.
    Seems to help me sleep better, and get we awake.

Dala Barnes
    Participant

The yoga I do is from a DVD called “Yoga for Inflexible People” by Body Wisdom media. I bought it years ago because I was intrigued by the title. It is very good for beginners but I still use it now. I still have problems doing the warrior pose 🙂
    I am sure that there are apps for your phone but since I am tech challenged this was a good fit for me.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Dala Barnes.

Littlesister
    Participant

I will have to try this. Starting tomorrow morning. I will see if it will help me as I am usually sore in the mornings.

OldMt Woman
    Participant

In the mornings, often roll and squirm and stretch ….just to get everything connected again.  I did the stretches this morning a while after I got up.  My back didn’t like the last one tho…so I will forego that one.  I was also doing ankle twirls as I counted to 30.

I often do stretch muscles and rotate joints during the day.  I don’t remember …just feels better to do it periodically.  One of our elderlies and I sit on phone and talk long every day.  We both kinda keep moving whether sitting or standing while we talk.

OldMtWoman  …sure am eating a lot of baby carrots  LOL

P.S. to @crowbar  …..I’m having to log in repeatedly tonite.  Problems?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  OldMt Woman.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  OldMt Woman.

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

@oldmtwoman,
    Could you expand on what you mean by “. . . having to log in repeatedly tonight?”

OldMt Woman
    Participant

Sorry, yes.  It’s not happening this morning.  I came in last nite to the Forums page and signed in.  Saw my yellow cardinal.  Went to this page and then I wasn’t signed in.  So I signed in again.  But then I was back on the Forums page.  I came to this page again and ….I wasn’t signed in.  I tried getting onto a different page after signing in again and getting bounced back to Forum page.  After about 5 times….I stayed signed in and could come here and post.

Computers cheat, ya know…..  All seems normal now.  {roll eyes}

OldMtWoman

Crow Bar
      Keymaster

OldMtWoman,
      Every once in awhile, I will log in, page refreshes, and I am not logged in.
      It is something in the backend, but not sure what as I am not a coder.

Josefina Arenas
      Participant

I, too, have had the exact same problem Old Mtn. woman describes…it’s happened enough times I just didn’t comment on posts.  I’ve noticed this happening for the last month or so.  Suspected it was cache, but that didn’t resolve my problem.

Loving Life
    Participant

I normally do some light stretching in the morning and evening. With starting skiing this season, I have been stretching more. I include a few yoga poses. Next week, I am going to check the schedule to see if a yoga class might fit my schedule.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar