2020 Prepper Health & Fitness Challenge: Day 8

Home Forums Challenges and Contests 2020 Prepper Health & Fitness Challenge: Day 8

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  OldMt Woman 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

by Daisy Luther

I hope the challenge is going well for you so far. Here are the small habits we’re incorporating into our daily lives.

We’re drinking water before we drink other beverages.
    We’re adding a serving of fruit or veggies before each meal.
    We’re adding more movement to our day.
    We are performing 5 minutes of gentle stretches before we get out of bed in the morning.

Just these habits will be very helpful in making 2020 a healthier year.
    Today’s challenge

Are you resting enough?

This may sound counter-intuitive when I’ve been talking about more movement, strength training, and stretching. But it’s not. The body needs rest and sleep to recover from the additional exercise you’ve been doing. Here are some suggestions.

Track your sleep. You can do this electronically with a variety of apps and gadgets, or the old-fashioned way with a sleep diary. Here’s an article about the vicious cycle of sleep deprivation and here’s one with some suggestions for insomnia. Lots of folks, my family included, have found truth in the studies that show how a high-quality CBD oil can help with insomnia.
    Take one day a week to do nothing more than a gentle walk and your stretching exercises.
    Relax. You can’t be busy and productive every second of every day. Even (or maybe especially) when it feels like the work will never be done, you need to take a bit of time to shut off your mind and distract yourself from the stressors of day-to-day life. You deserve at least a half-hour a day to soak in the tub, to meditate, to reconnect with your religion, and/or to spend time in nature.

At the same time, I must caution you against taking this advice and going overboard. Rest, like anything else, must be done in moderation. You can’t take an entire week off because you did a challenging hike and your legs are sore. Give it a day to rest and then get back out there. This is how we build on our fitness.
    Resting isn’t as easy as it sounds.

I know for a fact that taking time for self-care isn’t always as easy as it sounds. We all have so many responsibilities, we want to be well-prepped, we want to be fit yesterday.

But as the saying goes, you can’t pour from an empty pitcher. You have to treat yourself with the same kindness you would treat another person you saw struggling.

How do you relax and rest? How much sleep do you get? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

OldMt Woman
    Participant

Funny that rest/sleep is today.  {groan}   Due to my disease, I’ve had insomnia issues since I was a child.  Didn’t know back then, what it was.  Even sleepwalking.

With DH’s work schedule switching around for the past 6 months, I’m now a mess.  I think he’ll be staying on late shift…it’s the best for him.  I don’t care as long as it stays put!

He came home late last nite from work, and is battling some ‘bug’.  We VERY rarely succumb but he’s in the preliminary skirmish.  I’ve already boosted up immune things that will help me dodge this too.  We are so rarely ill and ….seems like we particularly don’t want what’s on this year’s selections.

So he was up and down all night.  I could not get to sleep.  I gave up some years ago and now take a half pill of the OTC variety each nite.  Only chemical pill I take.  Seems to be adequate until we have a schedule shift.  I think that messes up sleep more than anything.  Lately, I’ve needed a whole pill.  Last nite, I couldn’t remember IF I’d taken one.  Finally at 3AM, I took a half AND made hot cocoa.  Finally slept and woke at 10am.

We’re off to a previously scheduled doc appt. today.  So we’re in a rush and DH has not cleared out this ‘attack’ yet.  But have to get to this appt.  This will not be a calming, restful day.  We will not accomplish anything ELSE we planned while in the village….except this long anticipated doc appt.

I applaud and agree with days for rest and recovery.  Very good health habit.  This one won’t be mine.  🙁    Forgot to even stretch cuz woke to the beeps, etc of a brief power outage.  Hmph!

OldMtWoman  ….rushing…

Loving Life
    Participant

This post is at a good time for me. I have been skiing for 3-5 hours each day this week. The weather is supposed to be great tomorrow, so I plan on doing an easy 2 hours, then taking the entire weekend off and getting some rest. My muscles and such need to rest.

Depending upon the weather, I plan to ski again on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday next week.

I have been monitoring my sleep schedule via my Fitbit. I am average 7-8 hours of sleep every night with a Good rating.

Dala Barnes
    Participant

I get enough sleep. Usually 6-7 hours nightly. If I am restless or wake up and don’t feel rested I have the luxury or getting in a few more winks.
    I will admit that if my muscles hurt I will take more than a few days off from exercising. I still try to get my movement in by doing yoga or walking.

namelus
    Participant

I have wierd sleep cycle  bed is 10 pm but around 2 am will wake till 3 then back to bed and up at 6

Daisy
    Keymaster

I envy those of you with 7-8 hours of sleep. I’m lucky to get four. Since I don’t sleep well, I try to at the very least rest. If I can’t get to sleep or I wake up in the middle of the night, I lay in bed all cozy and watch something on Netflix that I’ve seen before or read a previously-enjoyed book. (That way I won’t try to stay awake to see what happens next.

It’s not ideal but I figure it’s better than being on the go for 20 hours a day.

log man
    Participant

@OldMt Woman, @daisy

You may have sleep apnea. Talk to your doctor about your sleep problems and ask him/her to schedule you a sleep apnea test (if you don’t have good insurance, this may be expensive). If you do, they will put you on a CPAP machine and these can be expensive too. I got on CPAP in the mid 1990s. I was waking up in the morning far more tired that I was when I went to bed. It’s unbelievable how much difference this made in my life.

namelus
    Participant

There are other options.. I too have sleep apnea…depending on how sever it is there are other less expensive and more likely to use cpap use is very low among people who have apnea as it is stupid uncomfortable. Think half face breathing mask with tubes and wires.

There are dental appliances to help with mild cases. Also losing weight and if you can’t  afford the gear sleep in a more sitting position as it stops the epiglottis from completely stopping breathing.  I am not a doc and the standard caveat these are things that worked for me personally.

OldMt Woman
    Participant

Not sleep apnea for me.  Seems like half the people I know are “scuba-diving” all night with those monster machines.  My disease uses up serotonin during the day.  One must have a balanced mix of neurotransmitters in order to achieve the state of SLEEP.  [or so we’ve been told]  We …with this disease…often use up serotonin during the day…..and have to rest for a while/quite a while to let it restore.  Then can sleep.  YMMV.

I also occupy the time with paperback books that are just boring enough that I’m not too invested in the next page…..but interesting enough that I continue reading.  Sometimes I have that perfect blend…..and then it gets tooooo interesting.  So I finish it in daytime.  lol

OldMtWoman  …goood sleep last nite and still a nap today…too much yesterday!  🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar