39 New Rifles & Carbines for 2019

Home Forums Security & Defense Weapons 39 New Rifles & Carbines for 2019

This topic contains 32 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Crow Bar 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

John Park
    Participant

Thanks for the link. The Savage take down is a nice addition.
    I’m holding off on another rifle until it is a done-deal as to what will be the new military caliber. Sources are saying a 6.8mm, but I’m waiting for it to be finalized. Also, sadly most of those rifles are out of my budget – but that’s always the case when gun companies show off their cool, new gear.

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

Over on the gun forums (pick one) watching all the 5.56 fan boys blustering. “The 5.56 is a perfectly good round! Been used for decades!”
    Then why does the DoD keep trying to improve on it? From the 55grn, to the 62grn, to the 77grn, and then the Army spent millions of dollars on the EPR to overcome the deficiencies of the 5.56, that line was actually in a EPR brief.
    And now, the military is looking at the 6.8.

Personally I dont understand why the 6.8SPC.
    There are a number of the newer 6.5s out there that outperform the 6.8SPC in nearly every category.

There are a number of chamberings out there that I would like to have, but cannot afford the chase the round of the month club.

I will stick to the .308WIN. Lots of it out there, cheap to reload, and it does a good 90% of what I need it to do. I am not shooting out past 600yrds.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  Crow Bar.

James Mitchner
    Participant

Considering the time it will take to get a new caliber (and maybe new rifle) out to the troops, I’ll stick with whats most available… and cheapest.  That would be 5.56. .223, 7.62X39, and 7.62X59/.308.  Nine millimeter, too.  I can’t afford buying a new wardrobe whenever styles change nor a total weapons makeover because of one new caliber or another.

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

Right you are James.

And I would rather have one general purpose caliber that can do 90% than one specialized that can only do 30%.

If I were shooting out past 600yrds, ok, then one of the newer 6.5s. .300WINMag, or even .338LM.
    Just cannot afford them!

namelus
    Participant

You can hit  at 1000 with a 308…. just need the skills and a decent gun…. but  in shft and hunting… that is a 10 percent time if that  like mentioned under 600 un urban under 300 yard sight lines unless you are one damn scary loop hole shooter through a Secondary structure.

I recently retired all the 5.56 and just went back to 308. Rifle weights now within 6 oz without cartridges and more ammo weight but way more stopping. Never had to use full auto from a non fixed position/hard point rifle. So in single shot there is no comparison  in my opinion. By the time I have to scrounge for ammo and mags there will be rifles aswell.

It’s the jack of all trades master of none but it’s proven reliable. M1a skeletonized with folding stock metal mags and aluminum frame with a  elcan  optic and a 16 inch barrel. It’s almost as tough as AK but with way better accuracy. It’s my go to choice for my region and weather.

Tolik
    Participant

They are all too proud of their products . Price is too high . I’ll stick with older , proven , less expensive ones .

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

I dont mind paying for quality, but a number of those AR platforms are way over priced and for not much value.

Tolik
    Participant

With modern manufacturing , over $ 700 is too much .

namelus
    Participant

I guess it how you look at it and what you have at your disposal.  For  main battle rifle 5k per is reasonable for us as a group. We found if you cheaper out beyond a certain point failures in the field began to climb. It also came down to what is proven in field by us.

Yes we have cheaper rifles but as a group we decided on one type to have familiarity with ALL members. Using AR platform there was starting to have too many draw back expecially in heavy under growth forest with wide open valley and grizzly/cougars. It was best suited for us as after a few fails with AR platform to do the job only we wanted more security,  betting your life with marginal equipment if you can do better does not seem prudent…

I agree tolik it should not be over 700 but what are the choices? Pay or do without…. we decided to cut some meals till the price was paid.

Tolik
    Participant

Not really pay or do without . Other platforms out there , especially on the used market . I don’t know if ” marginal ” is correct term , for anything that isn’t popular or trendy . AR’s to me fit the term marginal . Easy to get , yes , but known for being fussy , and that horrible standard cartridge . There was an interesting editorial called  ” How the US got shafted out of the FAL ” . Boiled down to politics vs. functionality . What types can you get for 7-8 bills , on the used market ? Any AK , FAL clone , Cetme/G3 platform , others as well . People don’t realize that HK didn’t invent the G3 . HK built it under Spanish license . Most changes made were mostly cosmetic , but the important parts are interchangeable . Another thing to consider is the possibility of losing it during SHTF . If it takes a person over $1000 , just to get possession of it , then have to drop X number of bills to make it how they want it  , or spending less for something else , and the extra cost of personalizing ? In other words , is it a bad idea to get something  ” too good ” in case you lose it ? vs. something else , that can be replaced easily , or if not easily , not out a serious investment . AKs are good for that , they get the job done , but your not going to be horribly upset if you lose it . A G3/Cetme , will beat an AR in field reliability , it will absolutely beat it in the knock down department . Lot to consider , really no right or wrong . Would I LIKE to have such and such a weapon ? Yes ! , Can I afford such and such a weapon , or willing to drop all eggs in one basket because of an inflated price ? No !

James Mitchner
    Participant

I’m reminded of that saying, “Beware of the man with one rifle!”  All those fancy/pancy rifles in that article in all the newest caliber rage, likely hard to find ammo and parts for, including mags, should hard times come upon us.

In my area a 300yd shot would be long.  A 100 yd shot more likely, and a 50yd and under shot very common.  There are lots of good ‘ol farm boys in my area with their Rugar, Remington, or Savage bolt-guns in common deer calibers that can shoot the eye out of a fly in the distances I cite.  Someone toting their $3K+  wonder gun wouldn’t stand a chance!

Its fun to discuss all the newest stuff, but we needn’t get run over by it.  Reliability, availability, accessibility,and dependability, should be what we look for when putting firearms into the inventory, IMHO.  I doesn’t require cleaning out the bank account to achieve all four of those attributes.

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

Well said gents on all counts.

While there are a lot of rifles out there I would not mind having IF I had the money, the only one I really want that I see has a practical application is the Ruger Gunsite scout rifle that James has.

James Mitchner
      Participant

I think you would love it, CB.  I have a Burris Scout Scope (3X) on mine.  I wish it picked up a bit more light, but it does the job.  The ten-rd mags double-stack, so the mags do not hang down as far.  Not long ago Midway had a same on the Ruger 5-rd mags and I bought several of those.  It prints 1 ” or somethings better off the bench using Federal 150gr soft points at 100M.

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

Very nice James!

Tolik
    Participant

James Mitchner
      Participant

Nice L1A1, Tolik.  The photo must be reversed because the carry handle is on the wrong side.

Here are some more.

Jack Simonton
      Participant

James, It’s designed like that or have some error at the time of making.

James Mitchner
      Participant

Don’t know what I was thinking, Tolik.  The carry handle is correct on the LIA1.  SHEEEESH!  Nice piece.

Jack Simonton
      Participant

Jack Simonton
    Participant

Hey, I am glad that I am here. Thanks for the link. The link contained so many designable rifles. They all are out of my budget. I have a conventional gun and don’t satisfied with that.

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

@Jack,
    Yeah, I know what you mean about out of the budget, sigh.

I try to stick with what is realistic for my situation: Hilly woodlands.
    Sure, some of those are dang sexy!
    But the odds of me ever taking a shot past the 600yrd line is nearly non-existent.
    And, realistically, I can do some light loads for small game without turning them into pink mist from the .308WIN humanely.

Jack Simonton
      Participant

@Jack,
      Yeah, I know what you mean about out of the budget, sigh.

I try to stick with what is realistic for my situation: Hilly woodlands.
      Sure, some of those are dang sexy!
      But the odds of me ever taking a shot past the 600yrd line is nearly non-existent.
      And, realistically, I can do some light loads for small game without turning them into pink mist from the .308WIN humanely.

Hey, Crow, I am really now in a bad situation, but don’t control myself from the shooting. It will be better if you can do some light loads for small game.
      Thanks

Tolik
    Participant

Wish it had a bipod , other than that its a good shooter .

Tolik
    Participant

FALs are supposed to have the carry handle , the L1A1 he was referring to , means that it is an inch pattern rifle , used by the British and other Commonwealth countries , as opposed to the metric pattern used by the other NATO countries . It is correct for that model . Interesting thing about the two , is that during the Falklands war , the Brits discovered that the metric magazine would work in their rifles , it would wobble , but still function …………the Argentines could only use the metric magazines .

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

@Jack,
    Actually I invested in a .22 air rifle, that I have been working on as a project for the past 2 or 3 years.
    And it is a lot cheaper to shoot.
    Backyard friendly too!

Jack Simonton
      Participant

@Jack,
      Actually I invested in a .22 air rifle, that I have been working on as a project for the past 2 or 3 years.
      And it is a lot cheaper to shoot.
      Backyard friendly too!

Thanks a lot for your great response.

Whirlibird
    Participant

I keep coming back to the AR platform.

Price is of course a consideration, but the modularity and ease of the build/assembly is probably the biggest factor.

First let me say that the FAL is my favorite semi-auto rifle. But at my age, I don’t want to be lugging one around. Same for the G3. As we do most of our hunting out of vehicles, this is less of a concern most of the time, but both the FAL and G3 are larger enough to be something of a pain working in a vehicle. This from a guy who carried a FAL up front in a patrol car.

The 6.8 round is IMHO the best option for the AR and general purpose. The 6.5 Grendel is good but loses out to the 6.8 when you start talking about broken bolts and feeding.

I hunt with the AR, and find the .223 somewhat lacking in oomph. Specialty rounds help but its still a.22.

Playing with the.300BO, its better at close up but stretch the distance and it like the AK, sucks.

More to follow

James Mitchner
    Participant

The AR platform is a good choice for those placing availability as a priority.  Lots of ARs around as well as parts and accessories.  .223/5.56 is plentiful.  While more efficient calibers are now upstaging the .223/5.56 in performance, stockpiling ammo in these newer calibers is a lot more expensive and resupply later on may be impossible if laying in a supply is your goal.

I once owned a HK91 in 7.62.  It was heavy and clunky, and I never jelled with it.  Didn’t keep it long although now I wish I had simply because of what they are selling for these days.

The FAL is a sexy beast, but a beast none the less due to its length and its weight.  I’m with you, WB.  I wouldn’t want to have to tote one around all day, even the Para version.  You may have been the only LEO in the country who carried one in your car!

Whirlibird
    Participant

Argh, long post killed by the page reloading. I will rewrite it on the laptop.

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

@Whirli,
    Dont ya just hate it when that happens?

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

@Jack,
    There was something wrong with the linky you posted.
    I cannot see it now.
    If you can repost and check the URLs that would be great.

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

Tolik said,

I keep coming back to the AR platform.

For me, the ergonomics of the AR is what keeps me from ever owning one.
    Dont like the grip, the placement of the charging handle, needs an ambidextrous magazine release.

The DI gas system is very dirty. I dont like cleaning that much.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar