75 years ago today – 6/6/1944

Home Forums Events & Emergencies 75 years ago today – 6/6/1944

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Wolf Brother 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Wolf Brother
    Participant

75 years ago today:
    My Dad was at High Wycombe, England developing the bomb strike and air combat photos taken earlier that day.

My Dad’s 2nd younger brother was in the Pacific on a Heavy Cruiser.

My Dad’s 1st younger brother watched the sun rise in France, having jumped in with the 101st.

My Dad’s youngest brother had just reached High School in 1944.

– – – – – – – –

After a bit, Dad wound up in the back of a cave in Belgium, continuing to develop strike and air combat photos.

My Dad’s 2nd younger brother eventually wound up helping to secure the port of Honshu at the end of WWII. His actions that day gave him a half page in the Cruiser Captains autobiography. His Cruiser Captain was Elmo Zumwalt.

My Dad’s 1st younger brother was in the Army Air Force. He was one of the pioneers of the AF Tactical Air Party (TACP) career field. Once he linked up with other elements of the 101st, he got busy requesting and directing close air support. With the 101st, he was part of Market Garden and later spent, as he put it “a wonderful Christmas in a small town in Belgium” – Bastogne. He said he enjoyed the beds at the Eagles Nest close to Berchtesgaden. He was rotated out, refitted with a jeep full of new radios, and attached to the 9th Armor. About 4 hours after the 9th. Armor captured the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen, he drove his jeep across the Rhine, into Germany. He parked at a good observation point and spent the next couple of days doing his job.

– – – – – – – –

My Dad and those two brothers have left and joined up with their brothers in arms.

– – – – – – – –

The son of the Navy brother tried to enlist but flat feet kept him out. One of his son’s was a TACP in Afghanistan – more than twice.

So of the 4 brothers children, I was the only one to serve. Once upon a time; many, many years ago; in a land far, far away I was called Doc.

I wrote something similar 25 years ago on the 50th. anniversary.

As an aside, you remember when it came out that 1000 WWII vets a day were dying? I was the DataBaseAdmin for the VA who ran the scripts that came up with the numbers. Some days it was very high 900’s, a few days in the 1100’s, the vast majority was in the 1000’s.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar