January 2020!

Home Forums Prep Every Day Check-In Threads January 2020!

This topic contains 23 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  corsaire 4 days, 7 hours ago.

• Author

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

A mighty Hat Tip to Cinnamon Granny for keeping me in check! ūüôā

Cinnamon Grammy
    Participant

Greetings, All.

CrowBar, no hat tip needed.  You just did not want the new year to start anymore than we did.  There are so many possible crises that could arise this coming year I think that we all just want to avoid them.

grannyj smith
    Participant

We ended 2019 with flu and began 2020 with flu and RSV. We wiped everything down in the house from door knobs to remotes and has not stopped this flu from getting to everyone except dh.

The doctor did prescribe extra albuterol for breathing treatments on the baby and we have been doing them every four to six hours along with cough syrup, but it has been longer than nine days with RSV and he is still coughing so much.

Hope everyone misses this flu bug for it is miserable.

Thanks

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

GrannySmith,
    Bummer to hear.
    I got the cold, but it is lingering. Finally got to the point I am not coughing every 2 minutes.

Littlesister
    Participant

grannysmith, praying  all of you get well soon.

Mama cando
    Participant

Praying for all to get better soon.DH and I are getting over our colds, we’ve stopped coughing in unison, LOL.Got a compliment from one of our neighbors yesterday on our outdoor Christmas decor. She stopped by on her way home from shopping and said she just had to compliment us. SO… DH added to the display for next year. We have to replace a couple of things anyway so he informed me he got some new stuff for the yard this morning. Am working on getting stuff out of the house this month. We go thru the Christmas stuff as we’re packing it up. Have to confess the fall stuff is still sitting in their bins to go thru as well, time just got away from me this year but I’ll be purging stuff and taking it to the thrift stores.

Cinnamon Grammy
    Participant

Happy New Year, Everyone.

Health to all of you: ¬†Granny Smith’s DH, Lil Sister, and someone was having surgery, et all. ¬†I hope you all stay away from any Flu Virus.

I have been reading about Elderberry. ¬†It sounds like quite the miracle drug for flu and colds. ¬†Hubby and I had colds, that we got from our family. ¬†We treated by drinking some of the elderberry “wine” that became vinegar that we made a few years ago. ¬†Plus, got some tablets to take. ¬†Hubby felt better in just a few days. ¬†I want to find a way to plant some that bear larger berries than the wild ones. ¬†The birds eat ours too quickly. ¬†Perhaps if I can plant some more I could actually harvest some.

Started studying Morse Code again.  I did last winter, but did not keep it up over the summer.  So, back to lesson one.  I asked a club member to help me during the Winter Field Day in three weeks.  Hopefully, that will give me some pressure to commit at least half of it to memory.  Daily practice I hope.

I did something that Hubby may or may not like.  We have been estranged from his #1Son/DIL for nearly 5 years.  They just do not get along. Have not seen their only child since he graduated from HS 4 1/2 years ago.  I used FB and invited GSonMC to dinner on Sunday; he and his girlfriend.  I am not going to say anything to Hubby until Sunday Morning since there is too much that can happen to postpone it until then.  We did NOT manage to get together last summer when I put the onus on GSonMC to pick the time.  Hopefully this young adult will follow through and rekindle the relationship. I see a wedding in their future and it would be a shame if Grandfather and Grandson cannot share the day.

Meanwhile, I took three items from the freezer and put them in the ‘Refrig. to thaw so I can can them in the next few days. ¬†I must empty the freezer it is too full and barely closes. ¬†I passed up a turkey at Walmart at 38 cents a pound!! ¬†Not happy about that.

Take care, everyone.

Littlesister
    Participant

Took DH for his barron swallow this morning.¬† He did ok but won’t know the results till next month as he has the CT scan on the 17th and then we go in to get results. He seems to be doing better the last few days. Finally got him drinking a lot more water and its working. I think some of his problem was deydration. But time will tell.

Going to help DH cook collards for market tomorrow and then coming home to can some brussel sprouts and red potatoes. Then on Wed. (I hope) I can finally get into the freezer and start the canning and deydrating.  I want the freezer empty before summer gets here.

My granddaughter called today and said they may either get transferred to Washington state and maybe back here in VA. I am hoping they can get transferred here this time around as her husband will be gone for one year for school and she can’t go with him. Don’t know where he has to go for school this time yet. He’s Naval Hosp. At least while he is gone if they get transferred here, I can teach her how to can her food. She loves raiding my canned goods. So if she learns how, then when she is transferred where she can’t come home often, she will know how to do it. Still wishing my daughter would learn. She wants no part of it.

Littlesister
    Participant

Got the potatoes canned today after getting back from helping DH cook collards. I have 4 one lb. bags of mixed veggies and a 2 lb bag of corn in dehydrator now. They will go through the night. Will be canning chicken in the morning. Then checking on the veggies so I can get them in mylar bags when done. Was thinking about putting the veggies in canning jars with oxygen aborbor but really don’t want to use my jars and the mylar will take up a lot less space. got 16 pts of red potatoes out of a 10 lb bag. Need to order some buckets or get some from the market. Thinking the market though I will have to get the pickle smell out of them. But they are free.

namelus
      Participant

Littlesister to get pickle smell out of a 5 gallon bucket use two to 4 cups of baking soda and hot water to the rim then let sit over night and dump if still smelly repeat.

Buy the baking soda from a chemical supplier or pool place not a grocery store for price of 5 boxed you can get 50 lb. If no use for it get it wet and let it harden with water changes it to washing soda which is base for laundry and tanning process.

grannyj smith
    Participant

The baby is doing well now, considering days ago he was fighting to breathe, now he is eating, taking his bottle and playing,  thank you all for your prayers for him.

It is warm days here to be January and there is so much I could outside.  I know I just need to be patient with myself and know I can and will get my chores done on my to do list done as soon as I too get over the flu.  Going to take a nap now that the baby is napping and maybe I will wake feeling better.

Thanks

Littlesister
    Participant

Namelus, I do that for the buckets as well as using vinagar.  It seems to help a lot. Soak it over night and then repeat it. Getting the buckets free, I guess is worth the trouble to get that pickle smell out.

Hope everyone is getting over their colds by now.¬† It’s hard to believe that today is the 11th of Jan. and it has been 74* today.¬† But the bad weather is coming. High winds, heavy rain but still warm days. Felt more like March today.

Today I got all the tax stuff together to work on. Yes it’s that time again. yuk. I hate tax time.¬† Been cleaning and moving things around to give me more room in the house. With DH’s issues, I am trying to make more floor room for him, making it easier for him to get around without falling or tripping on anything.¬† Have a lot of food I canned sitting on dinning room table for me to get put away. Need to do that soon as well. Front of house is pretty much done except for the canned goods to be put up. Will be working on closets and the garage soon I hope.

Cinnamon Grammy
    Participant

Greetings, All.

Glad to hear that everyone is getting better- health wise.

I am happy to report that Hubby’s meeting with his 22-year old estranged Grandson went well. ¬†I told him on Friday after GrandsonMC confirmed that he and his girlfriend will visit. ¬†Hubby was upset with me because I went behind his back to set up the dinner; he was saying “How can I trust you now?” ¬†He was over that by the end of the day.

When GSon and his girl arrived they sat together on the end of the long sofa, away from Grandpa, reading body language they were very tight and protective. ¬†By the end of the afternoon GSon had moved closer to his grandpa and his body had opened up; many more smiles. ¬†I asked his girlfriend to help me finish dinner which left the two of them alone together for the first time in their lives! ¬†My Hubby can be domineering and GSon may have been afraid of him as a small child; hopefully that is all gone now. ¬†I had knitted them each a hat during the week, but had not finished hers. ¬†I said I could finish it if they stayed another hour and they did, and she liked the color I had chosen. ¬†She found out that I had been paying attention to his Facebook posts. ¬†That should have told her that I cared enough to follow them and not interfere with comments. ¬†I hope that the ice has been broken now and there will be no hesitation to get together next time. We don’t necessarily “need” another person /couple in our lives, but I’d rather take the opportunity to heal the rift than just let it fester. ¬†Now, dealing with Hubby’s son/DIL will be a different matter, but we don’t need them anymore to have a relationship with the GSon.

I started the “deep” cleaning by tackling Hubby’s socks. ¬†He gladly threw away many that had worn thin. ¬†Some good ones were put aside for future dress wear so they are not all worn out at once. ¬†One drawer down and …too many left to go.

I made the corned beef for dinner last week and was surprised how little of the three pounds was actually meat; too much fat.  Barely enough for dinner and sandwiches.  Probably not something I will purchase again if that is the case.  I made and canned chili last week; using hamburger, zucchini and bell peppers from the freezer.  So, now on to the soup bones; beef barley is on the menu and soon on the shelves.  What veggies from the freezer can I add to that?  Then on to a frozen turkey.

Been practicing Morse.  I am stuck after 4 lessons.  Cannot hear the differences between:  d -..   w .Р   and  a.-   n -.  when they are mixed up in random runs of letters.  If I cannot handle three symbols what will I do when it comes to five?  Fortunately there is a program that I can use to input words with those symbols and just listen Рover and over again. Rote memorization.  Digging a new pathway to learn a new language in this 70-year old brain. I am a piano player so this should be easier to hear the rhythm.  Here are the links that I am using.

Learn: http://www.hamwhisperer.com/2011/04/international-morse-code-lesson-4.html

Listen:  https://morsecode.world/international/translator.html

Hubby keeps saying he wants to empty the junk and give away the stuff.  Ok, time to pick a few projects for this week to organize/throw/donate,  solidify the d,w, a, n in my brain, and prepare for soup making .

Oh, and start two new baby blankets.  I have two nieces, first cousins, that just declared they were pregnant and due one week apart! It will be a fun summer for the family.

Hubby saw a mink walking through the field this morning and is out looking for the mink tracks. Cool. A new and rare mammal for the property here in SW MN, through not a useful one for a Prepper.

Stay healthy and warm.  I hope no one was caught in those serious storms.

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

@Cinnamon Granny,
    Glad to hear the visit went well!

namelus
    Participant

Mink has two uses¬† fur is super warm and nice and it is a plague carrier the bubonic kind.. the bodies can be used as¬† pet food. For drying and skin stretching and pelt removal there are lots of you tubes on it… I use a 1 x6 for stretching hides.

Right now pine marten is in trapping season here … have 60 hides so far this cold will help.¬† ¬†It takes 180 plus a center fur like a wolverine or bobcat or beaver to make¬† a king sized top blanket. They are wow item for walls or bed spreads. Have the first one I made its 20 years old a bit worn but still very nice.

Our place would cause a peta and vegan to have appilexy as alot of animal products.  Everyone wants cariboo over mitts when cold with the fur on inside with flip fingers.   The hollow hairs keep you warm in crazy cold. Can go sleding at -30 and not need hand warmer handle bars.   Also makes best ass warmer on equipment used in cold without heat.

Cinnamon Grammy
    Participant

Namelus!!  If we needed it, and opportunity was there, I am sure we would take advantage of it.  Hubby was a professor and put up many bird skins for scientific collection.  No fear here about doing an animal other than not knowing how to properly tan it.

If we lived in the north woods hides would be a good and profitable past time/hobby/job.  We have lived here for 8 years and this is the first mink.  It would take a long time to catch enough to make anything warm. Of course, it is also just being in the right place at the right time.  Skunk would be more likely. Opossum fur is pretty, too.

PETA – people for the ethical treatment of animals- I agree with. ¬†As Preppers we treat the animals as they were intended – with respect, dignity, and for our use as long as we don’t overuse. ¬†We are put here to live in harmony with the rest of the earth. ¬†I enjoy Vegan dishes and love ham and meatloaf, and I wear leather shoes, and would wear fur if I needed it.

I think part of the Prepper mindset is understanding how to live in your natural surroundings. A mom that I knew, who lived in the city, said her daughter routinely shot squirrels. I asked what they did with the squirrels?  Stew?  Nope.  Just trashed them.  I hope the look I gave her was enough to make her realize that it was not an approved or ethical activity.

Don’t check our freezer. ¬†We have a variety of birds, plus vole, mole, mice, etc. ¬†They are saved for teaching BSA merit badges. ¬†We are probably the same as your house – verify what is in the pot.

Littlesister
    Participant

Went to market to help DH cook collards. Came home to get things caught up in house after working 2 days stright in garage.¬† Grandson came over to spend night and he parked his car where he always does at back of driveway across from garage. My car was in garage and when I backed out like I always do, I forgot his car was parked at back. So stupid me back right on out and turned to face the street to leave. And hit his car on the passenger back door and dented it.¬† Popped my finder out and of course both cars scuffed up. So called insurance com. to see what to do.¬† Only a $100.00 deductable and we are both covered for rental cars and my rates will not go up. He said we have great coverage and will not be a problem. So we are all set. Just have to pick up rental and then drop car off to be fixed. Same for grandson. I need to not get into habbits like that.¬† I have backed out like that for so many years, it didn’t dawn on me to remember there was a car parked there.¬† Incovenance to say the least.

Cinnamon Grammy
    Participant

Greetings, All.

Sorry about your cars Little Sister. ¬†I did that once – and hit my son’s girlfriends new car. Sad. Same here, I did not look.

Below zero today and I am very grateful for a house and sweaters. ¬†Why DH did not light a fire I don’t know. I’ll get get him to make a loaf of bread and that will heat things up.

I am working on my Morse Code. ¬†I got stuck on lesson 4 but my hearing is improving. ¬†Just seven more lessons to go. ¬†Yeah right. ¬†It is the practice listening that is important. ¬†Repetition, repetition just to learn the letters; forget about speed at this point. ¬†I’d be happy with 10 WPM.

Stay warm.

Littlesister
    Participant

Went to the food ministry this morning. Gave out food to 44 families. then came home and went to store to buy more food we would need for the next food ministry. So hit some sales today.  Church money. Just love spending someone elses money.. Though it is for a good cause.  Thought I would go do the shopping while I had grandson here to help me.

Still got to go pick up rental car and get my car in shop. So going to take DH for his test tomorrow morning and then we will go get the car and take mine to shop. Grandson’s mother has to take him to pick his up, so she is going to do that on Sat. Hope it won’t take more than a week.

Cinnamon Granny glad you are getting the hang of the morris code. Good thing to know. I really need to get my act together and start learning that stuff as well. Been thinking about the CB radio.  My SIL does that, so when I get the time, i am going to talk to him about it.

grannyj smith
    Participant

I am ready for it to warm up and the sun to come out for I am tired of staying in the house and I want to start building some raised garden beds and get the barn cleaned and ready before Spring so I can get some baby chicks.

DH says he thinks he made a mistake by moving us into the farmhouse and is thinking of moving back to the other house, but here we have space for a garden, chickens other animals should we need some to raise pork or beef for food. I reminded him that the grandparents that lived on this homestead didn’t give up and move when times were difficult they did things to help support their needs.

It is an adjustment living in a smaller house and trying to keep the little ones out of things for I don’t have enough room to put everything away and we still have things at the other house and garage that has not gotten moved to the farmhouse.

Maybe before Spring gets here I can find time to sort through everything again and get rid of more things that I no longer use or want and I tell my dh he is the pack rat for he will not get rid of things in the shed in order for me to have room to store things in it that don’t need to be in the farmhouse.

I did make time last evening to help our daughter bake cakes for taste testing by judges to choose which one she will enter in the county fair and she is so proud of the Oreo cake and hope they choose it.  I remember when my brownies won a blue ribbon at the county fair and I do miss doing things like that but I guess as one gets older other things become more important.

The little ones have been napping so I better start a load of laundry before they wake up.

Thanks

Cinnamon Grammy
    Participant

Greetings All.

Granny Smith Рhang on. We all second guess our decisions.  The country is a better place to be Рif you are prepared to handle it.

I made, my first ever, beef barley soup out of leg bones yesterday. ¬†I learned a lot! ¬†There is a lot of meat on the bone. ¬†The recipe was not difficult or hands-on-time consuming. ¬†The taste of the broth was amazing! ¬†I don’t think I have ever had such a rich beefy-flavored broth. ¬†I used four quarts of the asceptically packaged beef broth from the store, and ended up with 5 quarts of soup. ¬†We ate one, so now I have 4 quarts to preserve somehow. ¬†I will definitely do that again. ¬†I need more beef broth in my LTS, so…make it or buy it?

Now I am going to try some Vegan recipes:  Curried Sweet potatoes (with greens and chickpeas, and Red Lentil, Mushroom, Millet Stew.  Yes, I know, none of that comes out of the freezer, well the frozen greens will, so it does not help my goal of emptying the freezer.  Still, Vegan recipes with ingredients that can be easily stored, dry or canned, are a good thing to have.  It took a long time, and several stores, to find millet. I hope it was worth it.

We are, again, grateful for our neighbor who plows our drive.  Only six inches of snow, and our part of the state missed the blizzard winds, but not a good thing to drive on.

Visited with family last Saturday and learned that my BIL, with Parkinson’s, is having trouble eating and swallowing. ¬†Sounds like blender food, or hearty soup time. ¬†I wonder if he likes his mother’s split pea soup. ¬†Also, something to consider for our future storage – food for people with eating issues.

Ok.  Off to listen to the differences between -,,  and ,-,  and -.-  I will get to lesson 5!  I found a graphic that shows how each set of dots and dashes is overlaid on its alphabet letter.  That has helped a bit. ditdahvisual.png.

Stay snuggy warm, friends.

Littlesister
    Participant

grannyj smith, hang in there. The farmhouse may be smaller, but like you said a place for garden, chickens and any other anmial you have room for.¬† Being in a smaller house does have it’s disavantages but with a bit of work, you can make it work out. We have been in a small house for years.¬† 3 bedrooms that are not that big, but doable.¬† The kitchen is limited as it is small, no pantry nor an island for extra work space.¬† So we are going to put a folding table on other side of the bar side of cabnets for our applances. Going to make a tablecloth for it. And that will be my island.¬† It is on den side of cabnets but that is a space that is suppose to be a bar to eat at from den side. We don’t use that as we were able to put a small table in kitchen. We do have a dining room and a living room as well. If the day ever comes that I can move then my plan for this house will not happen. But if I don’t get that chance to move to country. I am putting a wall up between the dining room and living room and turning the dining room into a butler’s pantry. Lots of room for my canned goods. Then the livingroom will become the room we use to sit and watch tv or play games or whatever and the den will become the dining room. These are things that would help me out with being in a smaller house. We don’t use the living room nor the dining room as it is. After so many family members had passed on as we used to feed 25 to 30 family members at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We really don’t need those rooms any longer as now it is just us the kids, and grandkids, though now all the grandkids are grown with 2 being married. And, do to the fact that one lives in CA and the other married one is being transferred to Washington State they will not be here for either holiday. Will miss them not being here but flying across the country in who knows how the weather will be is a challange. So best they stay put. We always keep in touch so that would be great. And we are now going to start going to my daughter’s house for both Thanksgiving and Christmas as with DH’s issues this year it was very hard on me. So Daughter is taking the pressure off me next year.

Cinnamon grammy,  you will have that morris code down pat before you know it.  I am looking into the CB radio. My SIL does it and I am thinking about getting him to help me learn it.  I should learn the morris code as well. I remember some of it, but that was from years ago. Need to learn all of it.

Hoping everyone is well from their colds now.¬† The weather here is changing to winter temps. We had one day that was a wind chill of 24. After a few days of the 70’s that was cold.¬† Now it is back up in 40’s and 50’s again with some rain. though we didn’t get the rain we thought we would get the other day.

Crow Bar
    Keymaster

Whoa!
    Between yesterday and last night we got about 10-12 inches of snow. Funny thing, it warmed up from the mid-teens to the upper 20s! Heat wave!
    Took the dogs out for a walk/snowshoe. With that much snow, it was like strapping 8lbs of weights on my feet and then doing 30minutes on a stair master. Sitting here, I am sweating!

corsaire
    Participant

Greetings all

Thanks for all the updates. Its been organizing, cleaning and decluttering day after day. I have old UV window film on 7 of these huge windows on my home. It has to go before I put the house up for sale. I have been using a 3 inch razor, but it looks like that blade is getting dull. Ordered a 6 inch carbon steel from Amazon. We’ll see how that works, cause right now its futile to work with a dull blade.

If anyone is interested Walmart.com has great prices on bulk plastic storage bins. They have been great.

Weather wise, its the dry season; and yard work is minimal..YAY.

Stay safe everyone.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar